UKRAINE: Drinks body calls for minimum vodka price - report
A drinks trade body in Ukraine has proposed a minimum price for vodka in the country, according to local reports.
The Union of Alcohol and Tobacco Wholesalers (SOVAT) has proposed to the Ukrainian government that it introduce a floor of UAH11.15 (US$) per half-litre bottle of vodka in the country, the Ukrainian National News Agency reported yesterday (13 November).
The news agency said that the association set the price for vodka with an abv of 40% minimum.
A 'lowest price' for spirits had been in effect in Ukraine up until 2005, the agency said, although this was disbanded "to harmonise a domestic legal framework in line with WTO requirements".
A minimum price for vodka would stem the rise of counterfeit and illegally-made versions of the spirit, SOVAT has suggested.
The proposal has received the backing of the country's Ministry of Agricultural Policy, which has drawn up a draft law setting a lowest retail value for all spirits in the Ukraine of UAH46.63 per litre of 100% abv equivalent.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
Last year, just-drinks took part in a working party, set up following the World Whiskies Conference in 2007, to look at how to raise the profile of Scotch whisky. At this year's conference, held in Gl...
In anticipation of the London International Wine Fair, Chris Losh has put together a few questions, touching on some of the imponderable puzzlements of the drinks industry, for visitors to mull over, ...
Fermented soft drinks include some very established brands among their ranks, produced to age-old family recipes. But, writes Philip Tappenden, these drinks also offer some of the natural and function...
Absolut Vodka has announced the launch of its first TV commercial in the UK, as part of the vodka brand's global 'In an Absolut World' campaign....
The first chief executive of the UK's Drinkaware Trust has surprisingly stepped down after less than a year in the position....
Beverage Brands has redesigned its WKD brand's packaging with a simplified text to stand out on shelves in the UK during the summer....
Central European Distribution Corporation has seen profits soar in its first quarter, according to figures released today (1 May)....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?