UK: Drinkaware appoints medical advisory board
UK alcohol awareness charity Drinkaware has appointed a national advisory panel of medical professionals.
The charity announced today (28 January) that the panel, led by its chief medical adviser, Professor Paul Wallace, will advise its work educating consumers about alcohol misuse in the country.
Among the six medics' specialised fields are liver, mental health, accidents and emergencies, public health, adolescent health and oral cancer. They have committed to offering the charity advice for at least a year, Drinkaware said.
“The appointment of the medical advisory panel will help Drinkaware to be at the forefront of medical advice relating to alcohol and will ensure that the charity continues to be a trusted source for consumers seeking the facts about alcohol and how it affects their health,” said Chris Sorek, Drinkaware's chief executive.
The team consists of:
- Professor Paul Wallace - Professor of Primary Care at University College London, Director National Institute for Health Research Primary Care Research Network and a General Practitioner.
- Professor Mark Bellis - Director of the Centre for Public Health at Liverpool John Moores University, the North West Public Health Observatory and the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Violence Prevention.Dr Jonathan Chick - Consultant Psychiatrist, Royal Edinburgh Hospital and Part-time Senior Lecturer in Psychiatry, Edinburgh University.
- Professor Chris Day - Pro-Vice Chancellor and Professor of Liver Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University, Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences and Senior National Institute for Health Research Investigator.
- Professor Graham Ogden - Professor of Oral Surgery at the University of Dundee and Honorary Consultant Oral Surgeon Tayside University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Professor Jonathan Shepherd CBE - Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Director of the Violence Research Group and Vice Dean at Cardiff University, member of Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and Fellow of the College of Emergency Medicine.
- Dr Russell Viner - Consultant and Directorate of Adolescent Medicine, University College London Hospitals and Great Ormond Street Hospital, London.
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends