FRANCE: Drink driving laws hit drink sales
In the retail sector, figures from AC Nielsen at the end of June showed sales of spirits had fallen 3%, aniseed flavoured aperitifs by 4.5% and beers by 2.2%.
In the hotel and restaurant sector, the scale of the downturn is even more significant with the trade group UMIH pointing to a 10 to 15% decline in the consumption of these categories of drinks.
The recent heatwave has limited the dip in consumption with Pernod Ricard reporting that after a decreases of nine and 12% respectively in interim sales of its Ricard and Pastis brands, sales picked up in June.
Some industry professionals are worried that a tougher line on drink-driving has triggered a radical change in French habits towards alcohol consumption, However, others are optimistic sales will pick up again in the second half of the year pointing to a similar trend when France reduced drink-drive limits several years ago.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends