US: Dr Pepper Snapple Group stands still in "challenging" FY
- FY net profits slip by 1% to US$624m
- Net sales in 2013 stay flat at $6bn
- Operating profits fall by 4% to $1.05bn
- Bottler-case-sale volumes down by 2%
DPSG saw CSD volumes fall
Dr Pepper Snapple Group has posted flat full-year sales and profits growth as volumes of its core brands declined in a tough year for CSDs.
Net profits in the 12 months of 2013 were down by 1% to US$624m, the US soft drinks maker said today (12 February). Net sales came in flat at $6bn, while operating profits dipped by 4% to $1.05bn.
Brand Dr Pepper bottler-case-sale volumes decreased 2% and DPSG's “Core 4” brands, which include the low-calorie Ten range, declined 1%.
DPSG president & CEO Larry Young said: “I am proud of the team’s ability to remain focussed and execute against our strategy during a challenging year. We continued to gain distribution and availability across our key brands and packages and grew volume share and held dollar share in the highly competitive CSD category.”
Fourth-quarter results were slightly worse, with net profits falling by 8% to $156m and sales down by 1.4% to $1.46bn. Operating profits also fell, by 10% to $264m. Bottler-case-sale volumes in the quarter dipped by 2%.
Looking forward, DPSG said it expects net sales for this year to increase by 1%. Young said: “As we move into 2014, our teams will continue to build the Ten platform with programming focussed on driving awareness and trial, provide consumers with balanced beverage options and execute with excellence in the marketplace.”
North American CSD volumes have been under pressure for the past few years. PepsiCo's most recent quarter saw its CSD volumes fall by mid-single digits, while the Coca-Cola Co's stayed flat.
Today DPSG said its Mexico and Caribbean volumes both increased by 3% in the full year.
To read the company's results statement, click here.
For an in-depth look at Dr Pepper Snapple Group's performance by brand, click here.
For coverage of the company's post-results conference call, click here.
Click here for an analysis of DPSG's results.
Environmental sustainability in the global drinks industry in 2013
Environmental sustainability remains one of the most active areas for the global drinks industry. This four-part report takes an in-depth look at the buzz topic of environmental sustainability throug...read more
Carbonated Soft Drinks in Global industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
Juices in United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also co...
Keurig Green Mountain (KGM) expects to almost double the number of brands available on its Keurig Cold home-carbonation platform after it launches this Autumn....
Soft Drinks in Colombia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p...
Beverages in North America industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts