US: Dr Pepper Snapple Group pans 7UP antioxidant lawsuit
DPSG has attacked the lawsuit
Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) has hit out at a lawsuit which claims it misled US consumers over the type of antioxidant in varieties of its 7UP CSD.
The Centre for Science in the Public Interest, which filed the lawsuit in California on Thursday (8 November), argues that various fruit images on 7UP labels give the impression the antioxidants come from this source. However, according to the centre, the only antioxidant in the product comes from added vitamin E.
The lawsuit, filed on behalf of a consumer from a Sherman Oaks, California, concerns regular and diet Cherry Antioxidant, Mixed Berry Antioxidant, and Pomegranate Antioxidant varieties of 7UP.
But DPSG has countered that the lawsuit is “another attempt by the food police at CSPI to mislead consumers about soft drinks”. It added: “7UP Cherry is properly labelled under all Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, so that consumers can make an informed choice.”
A new version of 7UP Cherry will also be on sale in February that will not contain antioxidants, the group said.
In 2008, the Coca-Cola Co fell foul of the FDA over its Diet Coke Plus drink. The company branded the drink “Diet Coke with Vitamins & Minerals”. However the FDA said it did not not “consider it appropriate to fortify snack foods such as carbonated beverages”.
Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo Ltd considers some of the product innovations that have shaped the US cola market following news of the pending launch of an omega-3 variant....
The many facets of rum reflect a versatility that looks set to keep an already growing category moving in the right direction, according to a new report from just-drinks and The IWSR....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts