US: Dr Pepper Snapple Group eyes perfect Ten
Dr Pepper Snapple Group is to launch its stable of ten-calorie offerings in four US test markets
Dr Pepper Snapple Group's decision to test ten-calorie soft drinks across its major brands forms a key part of the group's strategy in 2012.
Dr Pepper Snapple (DPSG) has extended its ten-calorie soft drinks range beyond its flagship Dr Pepper drink. Early next year, the firm will test 7Up Ten, Sunkist Ten, A&W Ten and Canada Dry Ten in four area of the US - Columbus, Ohio, Des Moines, Iowa and Central Pennsylvania - according to the Wall Street Journal.
The move is part of the company's strategy to cut reliance on full-sugar, carbonated soft drinks.
Bernstein Research analysts Ali Dibadj and Steve Powers said in a note that, while it was "too early to fully assess the success" of the national launch of Dr Pepper Ten, the company's management is "pleased with initial uptake".
"In six test markets, Dr Pepper Ten achieved 6% share of the overall Dr Pepper trademark, alongside consistent growth in both regular Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper, and flat performance in Dr Pepper Cherry2," the analysts noted.
The analysts added that, while the global consumer environment remains difficult, ready-to-drink beverage volume in North America should be positioned to grow in 2012, with DPSG confident of benefiting from this.
"As it has in recent years, DPS believes it is well positioned to grow ahead of the overall NARTD beverage industry in North America, especially in CSDs," the analysts said.
Earlier this week, Harris Interactive released its annual study of brand health for beverages in the US....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts