US: Dr Pepper Snapple buys Dublin bottler in trademark settlement
In June last year, DPS accused Dublin Dr Pepper of violating its licence agreement
Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) has settled its trademark dispute with Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Co in the US by purchasing the company.
Back in June, DPSG accused Dublin Dr Pepper of violating its licence agreement. The soft drinks firm filed a lawsuit claiming the Texas-based soft drinks bottler was selling the Dr Pepper beverage beyond the six-county territory stated in its licence agreement.
However, in a statement yesterday (12 January), DPSG said that it has purchased all of the Dublin Bottler's sales and distribution operations, and the rights to distribute Dr Pepper and other DPSG brands in its six-county territory.
No financial details of the deal were disclosed.
As a result, Dublin Dr Pepper will now trade as Dublin Bottling Works. It will continue to produce other soft drinks at its bottling facility and operate its museum and shop, selling officially licensed Dr Pepper merchandise.
"Our main focus has always been on protecting the strength and integrity of the Dr Pepper trademark," said DPSG's president of packaged beverages, Rodger Collins. "We're pleased to reach an agreement that accomplishes that while also preserving the history and the special relationship Dr Pepper has with the Dublin community."
DPSG will distribute Dr Pepper throughout Dublin Dr Pepper's former territory itself.
Earlier this week, Harris Interactive released its annual study of brand health for beverages in the US....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends