US: Dr Pepper Snapple buys Dublin bottler in trademark settlement
In June last year, DPS accused Dublin Dr Pepper of violating its licence agreement
Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPSG) has settled its trademark dispute with Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Co in the US by purchasing the company.
Back in June, DPSG accused Dublin Dr Pepper of violating its licence agreement. The soft drinks firm filed a lawsuit claiming the Texas-based soft drinks bottler was selling the Dr Pepper beverage beyond the six-county territory stated in its licence agreement.
However, in a statement yesterday (12 January), DPSG said that it has purchased all of the Dublin Bottler's sales and distribution operations, and the rights to distribute Dr Pepper and other DPSG brands in its six-county territory.
No financial details of the deal were disclosed.
As a result, Dublin Dr Pepper will now trade as Dublin Bottling Works. It will continue to produce other soft drinks at its bottling facility and operate its museum and shop, selling officially licensed Dr Pepper merchandise.
"Our main focus has always been on protecting the strength and integrity of the Dr Pepper trademark," said DPSG's president of packaged beverages, Rodger Collins. "We're pleased to reach an agreement that accomplishes that while also preserving the history and the special relationship Dr Pepper has with the Dublin community."
DPSG will distribute Dr Pepper throughout Dublin Dr Pepper's former territory itself.
Earlier this week, Harris Interactive released its annual study of brand health for beverages in the US....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research