SOUTH AFRICA: Distillers' Corporation + Stellenbosch Farmers Winery = Distell
"We have decided on the name and will be working establishing the new identity and image of the company - with an official launch planned for March next year," said Andre Steyn, spokesman for the new company.
Considered to be one of the "illiquid" stocks on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, the Distell merger has however resulted in five times more trade than Distillers' Corporation's daily average.
At the close of office on Friday Distillers' shares were traded at R7,90 and SFW at about R3,50. Distillers shares were offered at 39,7 to every 100 SFW shares and today the new joint company opened trading at R8,00.
"Normal daily trading for Distillers' shares is about R97 000, but by 15h00 today, this had increased to marginally under R500 000," said Andrew Donaldson, of Merrill Lynch Securities in Cape Town.
"This is not stock which moves a great deal, it is rather illiquid. A total of 59 500 shares changed hands today, with buyers offering R8.05 and sellers pushing for R8.50 a share," said Donaldson.
Brokers do not expect there to be much trading in these stocks once the initial spurt of interest dies down.
Distell shares totalled 144 million shares. With the merger, another 55,8 million shares were issued as consideration shares, resulting in 195,58 million shares under the new dispensation.
However, only 10 percent are offered on the market as KWV, Rembrandt and South African Breweries each own a 30 percent stake in the new company, as a result of their previous shareholdings in Distillers and SFW.
*Tuesday, 5 December 2000, has been declared a public holiday in South Africa, to allow all workers to be able to get to polling stations for the second municipal elections to be held since the country's first democratic elections in 1994.
The flavouring scandal that rocked KWV at the end of last year has been the trigger for an upheaval in the way the South African leader will approach winemaking in the future. Chris Brook-Carter spoke...
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
After more than three months of negotiations, 94 employees at KWV SA, the production wing of KWV Limited, have taken either a severance package, early retirement or have been retrenched. Originally 10...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
The Distell Group has advised its investors on the JSE Securities Exchange that, compared to 2003/4, its earnings per share and headline earnings would increase by between 25% and 35% for the year to ...
KWV International and its German joint venture partner Racke GmbH are launching the Golden Kaan range of wines into South Africa as the first phase of a broader strategy for Africa....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts