S AFRICA: Distell voices European ambitions
Distell has expanded its UK office as it aims to become the "reference South African wine business in Europe".
The wine and spirits group, producer of wine brands including Nederburg, has opened larger offices in Middlesex and seen the first fruits of a recently signed distribution deal with Waverley TBS with a listing in UK retailer Waitrose.
A Distell spokesman insisted the company's "scale, experience and skills" would make it the leading South African wine producer in Europe.
"There is great interest and potential in the quality and diversity of the wines from the Cape and this is, perhaps, under-represented in the UK and Europe," he told just-drinks today (13 September).
"Given the scale, experience and skills coupled with the resources here in Europe and back in South Africa, Distell believes it can become the 'reference South African wine business in Europe."
Despite Distell's claims that Nederburg is South Africa's most "celebrated" wine, Constellation Brands' Kumala has led and driven the category in the UK in recent years.
The spokesman acknowledged Kumala's success but added: "We feel Distell can fully reflect the nature, diversity and personality of South Africa wines. In relation to Nederburg, the comparison is quite marked."
Late last month, Distell posted a 12.6% rise in sales for 2005 to ZAR6.7bn (US$912.7m) with wine exports up 20%.
In this month’s Just the Answer, Gary Greenfield, managing director of Distell Europe, talks about South Africa’s largest drinks company’s international aspirations, not only for its flagship wine bra...
The vodka sector's capacity for growth, particularly in the US, appears unbounded, and the big spirits players are all keen to gain full advantage. Major companies have recently swooped for the Svedka...
Gaymer Cider Company has lined up a new look and promotional campaign for its Gaymers original cider in the UK....
Constellation Brands appears to have backed out of the race to buy Absolut vodka....
Bacardi has publicly registered its interest in buying V&S Group, the owner of Absolut vodka....
Hardy Wine Company, the Australian arm of Constellation Brands, has sold its Kamberra winery in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)....
Constellation Brands has warned of "challenges" ahead in fiscal 2008 due to fierce price competition in the UK wine market, the wine glut in Australia and the decision to cut its wine inventories in t...
South African drinks group Distell said today (1 March) that it hopes to boost its presence in Holland following its deal with local distributor Baarsma Wine Group....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends