S AFRICA: Distell upbeat on Dutch wine deal
Distell, which owns wine labels Nederburg and Fleur du Cap, struck an agreement with Baarsma that will see the Dutch group handle a number of its wine brands.
Holland is the second-largest market for South African wines and Distell believes that, despite fierce price competition among Dutch multiple retailers, it can succeed in driving sales in the country.
Distell international marketing manager Robyn Steer told just-drinks that the company's focus would be on its "drive brands", which also include Drostdy-Hof, the company's best-selling wine in Holland.
Steer acknowledged that Distell could face pressure from retailers to cut prices but said the company would "try to avoid heavy discounting".
She said: "As a company, we are incredibly stable and one of the most profitable in the South African wine industry. All the business that we do is always mutually beneficial not just for our customers but for us too."
She added: "Holland is a key market for us and this (agreement) reconfirms our interest in the Dutch market."
Last month, private equity firm ABN Amro Capital bought a majority stake in Baarsma for an undisclosed sum.
Established as the dominant force in its domestic wines and spirits market and as an exporter to other African countries, South African group Distell is now aiming to raise its profile in global marke...
Initial investigations into a fire late last week which destroyed 3,000 barrels and about 900,000 litres of young brandy in a Distell maturation cellar point to a possible electrical short circuit....
Distell has posted a rise in sales and income for its most recent financial year....
Baarsma Wine Group Holding and Constellation Europe are to strengthen their working relationship from the start of October, with a distribution deal that will see the Benelux distributor take on a lar...
Burn Stewart Distillers has revamped its UK sales team and brought it back in-house....
Savanna has teamed up with C4's music programme Transmission with T-mobile....
The Savanna cider brand has doubled its sales in the UK in the 12 months to the end of February 2007 compared to the same period last year....
Burn Stewart Distillers and Distell Group have created a joint venture in Africa....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report