S AFRICA: Distell shines despite supply troubles
Despite having to presently import the vast majority of its annual supply of about 550m bottles for its lucrative RTD and cider segments, Distell has still managed to show handsome interim returns for the six months to the end of December.
The company said yesterday (13 February) that it also suffered a set-back with carbon dioxide (CO2 ) gas, but managed to increase RTD and cider sales volumes by 10.6%. A pilot CO 2 plant was being set up in Paarl, which should meet Distell's needs.
With one of its major domestic suppliers refurbishing a furnace, the company is sourcing bottles from four suppliers in the Middle East and Central America. Distell managing director, Jan Scannell, said the problem was expected to ease by May.
The company, however, lifted turnover by 12.9% to ZAR4.80bn (US$627.6m), while headline earnings went up by 17.9% to ZAR550m. Interim dividends went up 19.5% from last year to 104c a share.
Scannell said international markets outside Africa showed a 20.7% increase in revenue on a sales volume growth of 17.7%, with both spirits and wines recording good growth. Wines sales in Germany, Scandinavia and Canada were particularly promising.
Distell has lined up a marketing promotion in the UK for its Two Oceans wine brand....
Distell Group has confirmed the appointment of two new directors and the resignation of one other....
Distell is launching a national integrated advertising campaign in the UK for its South African Savanna Cider brand this month....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report