SOUTH AFRICA: Distell restructures wine division
The new department will be responsible for 13 top brands with a greater emphasis on driving the high-end of the market, where a higher level of liaison with markets is required.
Among the labels are Allesverloren, Stellenzicht, Alto, Jacobsdal, Le Bonheur, Plaisir de Merle and Uitkyk.
Distell's global wine marketing manager, Peter Hafner, said the company also included the reserve brands of the Nederburg, Fleur du Cap and Durbanville Hills ranges.
Of the company's local sales team of 80, 18 have been hived off to concentrate on the boutique wine market.
This goes hand in hand with South Africa's drive in the UK to create a niche for itself in the over £5 category.
"South Africa's reputation as a quality producer in the super-premium sector and above has grown significantly in recent years," said Hafner.
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits