S AFRICA: Distell H2 figures on the rise
Distell has posted a rise in H2 headline earnings. The wine and spirits producer said today (17 February) that headline earnings for the six months to 31 December were up by 32.4% to ZAR293.6m (US$49.3m).
Sales volumes were up by 1.8% year-on-year, hitting 176.9m litres for the period, with sales revenue rising by 7.3% to ZAR3.4bn.
The interim dividend per share rose by 21.7% to 56c on headline earnings of 149.4c per share.
Domestic sales volumes grew by 0.9%, reflecting favourable sales mix, with the volumes in the spirits category growing 3.2%. Wine sales for the first six months fell, however, by 2.2%.
RTD's recovered some of the losses, growing 3.1% after declining 4.1% for the same period in 2003.
While exports to destinations outside Africa rose by 7.2%, they were offset by a 6.1% improvement in the value of the Rand, which resulted in sales revenue declining by 1.6%. Sales revenue from exports to the rest of Africa rose 7%.
While the company had kept operating expenses under control at 6.3%, it had maintained its market presence with an increase of 17% ad spend.
Distell curbed its capital expenditure down to R32.8m compared with R95.9m in 2003.
Distell's MD, Jan Scannell, warned, however, that the second half of the financial year would slow down.
As the US distillers' association, Discus, for the first time in its history publishes its annual report into spirits advertising, which includes complaints against its self-regulatory code, David Rob...
Constellation Brands is interested in some of Allied Domecq's spirits brands, according to reports today (15 April)....
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits