S AFRICA: Distell enjoys export growth
Distell has raised its packaged wine exports by 18% for the year ending 31 March, figures in stark contrast to a stagnant South African wine industry.
Don Gallow, Distell's international director said today (17 May) that bulk exports for the industry had jumped by 24% as exporters tried to curtail supply chain costs in an increasingly competitive market.
He said that while the UK and Netherlands were the two leading markets for South African wines, Distell was operating over a far wider base.
"We are seeing strong growth in Germany and Scandinavia and at the same time North America is making a major contribution to export sales."
Gallow said the fidelity of brand equity, a solid distribution and geographical reach were what maintained Distell while navigating global oversupply.
In the US, Distell was most active above US$7, a segment that grew by 13% last year according to Gallow.
Brown-Forman represents Distell's Durbanville Hills brand in the US and UK. Sales of this brand more than trebled in the year to March.
In this month’s Just the Answer, Gary Greenfield, managing director of Distell Europe, talks about South Africa’s largest drinks company’s international aspirations, not only for its flagship wine bra...
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD), the industry-sponsored social aspects organisation, has been forced to postpone plans to set out specific guidelines on sponsorship after the member...
Italian drinks company Gruppo Campari has reported a slight increase in profit before tax as lower margins offset high revenue growth attributed to recent acquisitions and new distribution deals in th...
South African cider brand Savanna has secured a listing at UK retail giant Sainsbury's....
Fifteen beverage alcohol producers in the US have paid a combined US$2.3m to settle a probe into rebates and gifts given to retailers to market their products in New York....
Distell's cream liqueur brand Amarula is set for a sampling campaign in the UK....
Brown-Forman is looking to launch its Bonterra in the Indian market, according to local reports....
Distell-owned cider brand Savanna has increased year-on-year volume sales by 133% in the UK market, attributed by the company to increased distribution, heavy marketing support and the buoyant cider s...
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review