SOUTH AFRICA: Distell dual legal battle continues
This dual battle has been raging since last November, and continues in the Cape High Court on 29 May when Distell asks for leave to appeal the findings in the Martell case. Meanwhile, notice to appeal against the findings of the Competition Tribunal has already been lodged with the Competition Appeal Court in Pretoria.
In November Seagram Africa applied to the Cape High Court against the Distillers' Corporation-Stellenbosch Farmers' Winery merger, while Bulmer South Africa attacked the merger through the Competition Tribunal.
At the same time SFW and Seagram were locked in a courtroom battle over the domestic rights to Martell, which SFW have had since the mid-1960s. Seagram contended that SFW did not meet the sales figures stipulated in the 1997-1998 financial year and as such they were entitled to take back control of the brand.
Justice Jeanette Traverso found in favour of Seagram and ordered SFW to relinquish the Martell brand. Distell will again come before Justice Traverso with an application for leave to appeal the sentence.
Seagram lost the first round of the merger battle when Justice Thabani Jali found for Distillers' and SFW, but it went on to join forces with Bulmer and two trade unions in an action before the Competition Tribunal.
This they won last month when the Tribunal ordered Distillers-SFW to apply to the Competition Commission about merging. Distell decided to challenge the findings and must now wait for the Competition Appeal Court to set a date.
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research