S AFRICA: Distell appoints SABMiller exec as MD-elect
Distell will change MD at the end of the year
Distell has appointed a new group managing director who will step in to the role when Jan Scannell retires at the end of the year.
Richard Rushton, who is president of SABMiller's Colombian subsidiary Bavaria, will take over at Distell on 1 November, Distell said this week. SABMiller owns a 30% stake in South Africa-based Distell, a company spokesperson told just-drinks today (1 August).
Distell chairman David Nurek described Rushton as having a “deep understanding of the liquor industry in Southern Africa, Africa, Asia and Latin America”. Rushton has been head of Bavaria since 2011, the SABMiller spokesperson said.
Scannell, who will leave Distell in December, has been with the company for 34 years, the past 13 as MD, according to Bloomberg's Business Week.
In April, Distell moved further into the Scotch category with the US$244m purchase of Burn Stewart Distillers.
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits