S AFRICA: Distell appoints SABMiller exec as MD-elect
Distell will change MD at the end of the year
Distell has appointed a new group managing director who will step in to the role when Jan Scannell retires at the end of the year.
Richard Rushton, who is president of SABMiller's Colombian subsidiary Bavaria, will take over at Distell on 1 November, Distell said this week. SABMiller owns a 30% stake in South Africa-based Distell, a company spokesperson told just-drinks today (1 August).
Distell chairman David Nurek described Rushton as having a “deep understanding of the liquor industry in Southern Africa, Africa, Asia and Latin America”. Rushton has been head of Bavaria since 2011, the SABMiller spokesperson said.
Scannell, who will leave Distell in December, has been with the company for 34 years, the past 13 as MD, according to Bloomberg's Business Week.
In April, Distell moved further into the Scotch category with the US$244m purchase of Burn Stewart Distillers.
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends