SOUTH AFRICA: Distell appoints Australian as chief winemaker
Distell has appointed an Australian as its chief winemaker as it prepares its assault on world markets.
Linley Schultz, 38, who is presently with Banrock Station wines, joins the Stellenbosch-based beverage company at the end of September. The company has been on the lookout for a person to fill this position since merging earlier this year.
Schultz began his career at Wein Valley Estate, South Australia, in 1988, followed by a seven-year stint with Southcorp wines. He has worked as an independent winemaking consultant in about nine different countries. These include, Germany, Italy, Macedonia, Argentina, Hungary and England
It was this diverse range of experience that Distell was looking for, according to corporate affairs director, Andre Steyn.
"Nationality was not a priority, it was international experience and I think we have the man who fits the bill perfectly."
Wines & Spirits in Australia 2001
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US