US: DISCUS urges action on Bulgarian spirits fraud
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) has pressed for further action over counterfeit spirits from Bulgaria, even though progress has been made against the problem.
In a detailed report, DISCUS welcomed the increased seizures of fake US whiskies, which reached almost 1,300 last year, compared with 284 cases in 2005.
DISCUS was also happy with plans to increased official controls over beverage alcohol imports.
However, the organisation said it wants the controls clarified, for Bulgaria to "streamline" complaints procedures and "dedicate additional police resources to fight counterfeiting".
Anti-social behaviour linked to alcohol abuse has once again grabbed the headlines in the UK. But Chris Losh believes that while the industry has made great strides with regard to social responsibilit...
The global market for premium beer is set for further strong growth over the coming six years, according to a recent report published by just-drinks, but there will be marked variations in the growth ...
The authorities in Russia have postponed the deadline for their alcohol data system once again, according to local reports....
The chief legal officers from 29 states have united to condemn alcoholic energy drinks....
Vinmonopolet has seen the poor summer weather affect sales in July....
The California State Board of Equalization (BOE), under the leadership of State Controller John Chiang, has set in motion a rulemaking procedure which would tax RTDs as distilled spirits rather than a...
A police chief has called for the legal drinking age to be raised due to a prevalence of anti-social behaviour and violence among teenage drinkers across the UK....
Finland's brewing and soft drinks industry federation has warned the Government that plans for a significant hike in taxes on beer, spirits and wine will impact negatively on profits and expand demand...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future