US: DISCUS reviewing Bacardi's Dewar's ad
DISCUS has put the ad under review
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) has said it looking into a controversial advert for Bacardi brand Dewar's that was pulled after complaints it was sexist.
Bacardi on Tuesday removed the online advert, which featured a character called 'The Baron' that steps in to ward off the unwanted attentions of an overweight women. Bacardi issued a statement that said: “We understand our promotions may not always appeal to everyone.”
However, DISCUS, which represents US spirits producers, told just-drinks today (16 December) that the ad is now under review by its code review board after receiving a complaint. It is unclear how many complaints DISCUS has received, however, an online petition against the ad launched last week attracted 52 signatures.
The code review board oversees the DISCUS self-regulatory code of responsible practices. One of the code's guidelines states that alcohol advertising “should not degrade the image, form, or status of women”.
Companies: Bacardi Ltd
The world’s seventh largest spirits company, Bacardi also ranks 14th in the global wine market. This profile analyses Bacardi’s efforts to address the significant challenges facing its core fortified ...
Bacardi is the world’s seventh largest spirits company and the global leader in rum. This profile analyses the company’s efforts to revitalise its key brands and expand its product offer in the face o...
Last weekend, the Wall Street Journal published a fascinating article that looks at the more recent performance - or lack thereof - of Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand in the US....
Vodka is the second largest segment of the Global Spirits market, accounting for a share of 15.75 percent in 2013. Countries such as Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, and the Czech ...
I must be getting soft in my old age, but there are two drinks marketing campaigns that have recently launched, which have resonated particularly well with me. The one thing they have in common is tha...
Canadean's "Badel 1862 d.d. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and servi...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages