US: DISCUS reviewing Bacardi's Dewar's ad
DISCUS has put the ad under review
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) has said it looking into a controversial advert for Bacardi brand Dewar's that was pulled after complaints it was sexist.
Bacardi on Tuesday removed the online advert, which featured a character called 'The Baron' that steps in to ward off the unwanted attentions of an overweight women. Bacardi issued a statement that said: “We understand our promotions may not always appeal to everyone.”
However, DISCUS, which represents US spirits producers, told just-drinks today (16 December) that the ad is now under review by its code review board after receiving a complaint. It is unclear how many complaints DISCUS has received, however, an online petition against the ad launched last week attracted 52 signatures.
The code review board oversees the DISCUS self-regulatory code of responsible practices. One of the code's guidelines states that alcohol advertising “should not degrade the image, form, or status of women”.
Companies: Bacardi Ltd
Last weekend, the Wall Street Journal published a fascinating article that looks at the more recent performance - or lack thereof - of Anheuser-Busch InBev's Budweiser brand in the US....
I must be getting soft in my old age, but there are two drinks marketing campaigns that have recently launched, which have resonated particularly well with me. The one thing they have in common is tha...
Here's a confession I feel I should make - I only have 177 Twitter followers. Why am I telling you this? It's got something to do with a dinner event in London this week, where I witnessed a public re...
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits