US: DISCUS looks to clarify rum deal
The Distilled Spirits Council of the US (DISCUS) has issued a statement to clarify the position on benefits for the rum-producing territories of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands being agreed as part of the economic rescue package agreed last week by US authorities.
DISCUS, which represents spirits companies in the US, said late last week that there was confusion over the provisions which it said were not tax breaks for rum makers, as had been reported in the press and claimed on Capitol Hill.
DISCUS said the deal was "fundamentally a revenue sharing arrangement between the US government and the governments of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, which Congress has voted to extend repeatedly over the last 20 years". Under this provision, the US government rebates to the governments of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands most of the Federal Excise Tax collected on rum imported into the US, DISCUS stated.
"Essentially, this longstanding policy allows the governments of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands to keep the taxes on the rum produced there. It is not a tax break for rum companies," said DISCUS vice president Mark Gorman.
Yesterday (1 April) signalled both an end and a beginning for Maxxium, the global sales and distribution joint venture created by Beam Global Spirits & Wine, The Edrington Group and Remy Cointreau in ...
Recent results suggest all spirits companies are feeling the effects of the downturn but some are better equipped for long-term growth than others. Jeremy Cunnington of Euromonitor International asses...
Increased investment by multinationals is transforming the rum sector which, according to a new report from just-drinks and IWSR, could be the next "hot" international spirits category. Ben Cooper rep...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard has said it is "disappointed" by this weeks ruling against its Havana Club joint venture partner in the US, and warned that it will "aggressively prevent any unauthorised use" of the Hav...
The US District Court has dismissed a lawsuit by the Cuban co-owners of Havana Club International claiming the country acted illegally in terminating its US trademark rights for the namesake rum brand...
Halewood International has lined up the first brand extension for Corby Distilleries' Lamb's Navy Rum brand in the UK....
Pernod Ricard has unveiled a limited edition version of its rum brand Malibu....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends