US: DISCUS hits back at song lyric study
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) has claimed most references to alcohol brands in music happen without permission after a study accused drinks firms of targeting younger consumers through popular songs.
The study, released this month, showed that Jack Daniel's whisky, Hennessy Cognac, Grey Goose vodka and Patron Tequila account for more than half of alcohol brand-specific mentions in songs that reference alcohol, according to USA Today. One of the study's authors said the infiltration of brand mentions into music “is a major element of alcohol marketing”.
However, in a statement late last week, the Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) said most instances of brand-name references in song lyrics are outside of a brand owners' control.
The council said: “While the industry encourages those artists to use good judgement and taste, as the study's authors should know, that music is protected by the First Amendment.”
DISCUS also disagreed with the study's conclusion that brand references are associated with increased underage drinking.
“(This) ignores Government statistics, which show that alcohol consumption and binge drinking rates among 8th, 10th and 12th graders have continued a significant long-term decline.”
The study, by researchers at Boston University School of Public Health and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, looked at songs in the US Billboard Top 100 from 2009 to 2011.
In July, DISCUS welcomed new chairman Gerry Ruvo, who succeeded the outgoing John McDonnell.
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Synopsis The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during July 2014. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the l...
Premiumisation, the craft movement and fast-paced innovation take centre stage. The increasingly fast-paced rise and fall of trends is having a major impact on the global drinks market. Factors such a...
The head of Brown-Forman has hinted at the prospect of the company building its own Scotch or Irish whisk(e)y production facility as an alternative to an acquisition in either category....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets