US: DISCUS calls for AWOL ban
The Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) has thrown its weight behind efforts to ban the controversial "alcohol without liquid" (AWOL) brand, which allows consumers to inhale alcohol by mixing alcohol with pure oxygen.
DISCUS in a statement yesterday (21 March) urged the "swift passage of legislation introduced in Florida banning "alcohol without liquid" (AWOL) devices".
The bill, SB 794, sponsored by Senator Mike Haridopolos, would prohibit the sale or use of these devices and make its sale a misdemeanour.
"We commend Senator Haridopolos for trying to keep these irresponsible devices out of Florida and we urge other states to do the same," said Dr. Peter Cressy, DISCUS' president. "The distilled spirits industry deplores any attempt to encourage reckless consumption of alcohol.
"Consumed responsibly and in moderation, beverage alcohol can be a normal, healthy adult lifestyle choice," continued Cressy. "There is absolutely nothing responsible about these devices and they should be banned immediately."
In August last year, Spirit Partners announced that it has acquired the exclusive license to market the AWOL technology in the US.
The company has denied that it is an irresponsible product, saying it was "simply a fun, new, exciting way for adults to enjoy alcohol in a responsible manner."
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets