UK: "Discerning" drinkers drive up London brewery numbers
Demand for craft beer shows no sign of abating
The number of breweries in London has soared by 500% in the last seven years as demand among a "new breed" of discerning beer consumers has grown, latest figures show.
England's capital now has 30 operational breweries, while 14 others are currently being set up, according to research published by consumer group the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) yesterday (7 August). In the last 12 months, 14 breweries have been established in London.
"It's a remarkable turnaround for London's brewing fortunes, particularly at a time when research shows three pubs a week close across the capital," said CAMRA's chief executive, Mike Benner.
Brewers are "succesfully targeting a new breed of discerning beer consumer, tapping into principles of localism and environmental awareness and winning new audiences for Britain's national drink", he added.
The figures were revealed to coincide with the opening of CAMRA's Great British Beer Festival in London this week.
Meanwhile, in the US demand for craft beers also shows no sign of diminishing. The Brewers Association released figures yesterday showing the country's brewery count has hit a 125-year high, while sales in value terms are up 14% in the first six months of 2012.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future