UK: "Difficult trading" leads to Carlsberg UK price hike
The Denmark-based brewer confirmed yesterday (9 September) that it will increase the wholesale prices for its beer by an average of 2.3%. The news follows similar announcements by Coors and InBev this summer. Coors said earlier this month that it has been forced to introduce a wholesale price increase of GBP0.03 per pint across all channels, effective from 29 September, while InBev's wholesale beer prices for both the on- and off-trade will increase by an average 3.3% from 15 September.
"We are committed to delivering efficiencies across all areas of business in order to absorb the increased costs and reduce the potential impact on our customers," a spokesperson for Carlsberg GB said. "This has been the case this year, as our price increases have been significantly lower than our competitors'.
"The rising costs of such items as raw materials (malt 50% and hops 100%) and utilities have been unprecedented. Therefore, on this occasion, we have been left with no alternative."
The company said that it would continue to support its customers through targeting brand growth and innovation "during this difficult trading period".
The increases will take effect from 6 October.
Belgium-based beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev saw its fourth-quarter profit plummet 95% yesterday (5 March), hurt by restructuring charges and poor beer sales. Michelle Russell looks at the reaction t...
Molson Coors has said that its interest in Foster's has not changed, following the Australian group's announcement that it will not sell off its wine business....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
A quarter of UK pubs are likely to disappear over the next decade, but this is "no bad thing" for the beer industry, according to the CEO of Carling lager producer Coors Brewers....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has reported a fall in net profit for 2008, with slowing global beer sales in the fourth quarter....
AmBev, the subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch InBev, has reported a 6.5% net sales rise for 2008, as price increases helped to offset beer volume decline in the group's native Brazil....
Molson Coors plans to to launch a second cost savings scheme to save an extra $100m annually, the brewer's chief financial officer has said....
AmBev, the division of Anheuser-Busch InBev, is to cut 146 jobs in Brazil by closing one of its drinks factories in the state of Sao Paulo....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets