CANADA: Diamond Estates teams with Dan Aykroyd for new winery
Diamond Estates Wines & Spirits has unveiled plans to open a new winery in Ontario.
The Canadian company, which owns EastDell Estates, Lakeview Cellars, Birchwood Estate and Thomas & Vaughan in the Canadian state, said yesterday (14 June) that it is teaming up with comedy actor Dan Aykroyd to build the facility.
Construction on The Dan Aykroyd Winery will begin this Autumn, and should be operational in time for the 2008 harvest. The C$12m (US$11.26m), 45,000-square-foot winery will be built on the current location of the company's Birchwood Estate winery. The winery's theme will pay tribute to the region's terroir and to Dan Aykroyd's 30-plus years of work in film and television by showcasing his memorabilia throughout the building.
"The Dan Aykroyd Winery presents Diamond Estates Wines & Spirits with the opportunity to accelerate our company's expansive growth in the Ontario wine industry while ensuring we continue to create and deliver compelling branded VQA wines," said Murray Marshall, CEO of Diamond Estates.
"This amazing facility is a symbol of my ongoing commitment to helping sustain the growth of the Canadian wine industry," said Aykroyd. "I am very proud to lend my name to this winery. It is a true expression of my passion for the world-class wines of the Niagara region."
In late-2005, Aykroyd, who was born in Canada, invested C$1m in Niagara Cellars, the owner of Diamond Estates.
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends