UK: Diageo/S&N joint bid for Foster's rumour after share hike
Shares in Foster's Brewing Group, like Southcorp only a few weeks ago, have seen a surge in value of 7% after two days of heavy trading, prompting speculation two UK drinks companies are mounting a takeover bid.
Speculation in Australia has centred on a surprise joint bid between the wine and spirit giant Diageo and the UK's leading brewer Scottish & Newcastle (S&N). Reports have suggested that Diageo would take the wine division, Beringer Blass, while S&N would acquire the Foster's brewing division.
Foster's beer is already produced under licence by S&N in several European countries including the UK. But Foster's today said it was not aware of any reason for the unusual trading levels in its stock.
But a leading UK analyst told just drinks.com: "On paper it would seem the natural progression for S&N. It has been brewing Foster's on licence in the UK and Europe for years. S&N has taken the brand forward and any disruptions through the changeover would be nominal. Foster's is in good shape at the moment, having offloaded its loss-making Chinese operations."
"What I don't see is Diageo gaining much from the Beringer Blass acquisition. The brands are small compared to Southcorp which would be a better buy," he added.
In spite of trying to buy up Southcorp, Foster's could itself be a takeover target in the near future, according to press reports....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Demand and profit problems for Australian wine producers in both home and export markets are becoming more apparent....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Foster's Group has extended its Southcorp takeover offer for a third time....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends