UK: Diageo's Walsh confirmed as new Compass chairman
Walsh leaves Diageo next month after 13 years as CEO
Outgoing Diageo CEO Paul Walsh will join catering group Compass as chairman from next year, it has been confirmed.
Following press reports last weekend, Compass annnounced today (20 June) that Walsh will replace Sir Roy Gardner in the non-executive role from 6 February. Walsh will become a non-executive director of the firm on 1 Janaury.
For Diageo, Walsh, who has been CEO for the last 13 years, will officially hand over the reins to his replacement Ivan Menezes on 1 July. However, he will spend a year assisting with the transition, Diageo has said.
Walsh also holds non-exec director posts at FedEx, Unilever and Avanti Communications Group.
Sir Ian Robinson, senior independent director of Compass, said: "His experience leading one of the UK's largest international companies through a period of significant global expansion makes him an excellent choice, and we look forward to his valuable contribution to the business."
Walsh said: "I'm delighted to have this exciting opportunity at such a world class company. I look forward to working with Richard Cousins and my new colleagues on the board and to making a significant contribution to the business."
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
Tequila brand Agave Underground is expanding to Canada after signing a distribution deal with Glazer's. ...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts