Product Launch - GLOBAL: Diageo's Tanqueray Old Tom Gin
Diageo's Tanqueray Old Tom Gin
Diageo's Tanqueray Old Tom Gin
Category - Spirits, gin, 47.3% abv
Available - From 23 June
Location - On-trade, “top bars only”
Price - SRP of GBP40.84 (US$69) per one-litre bottle
Distribution - Diageo
Diageo has launched a limited-edition Old Tom variant of its Tanqueray gin into the global on-trade.
The company said today (12 June) that only 100,000 bottles will be available at “top bars” around the world. The launch of Tanqueray Old Tom Gin follows the successful revival and release of Tanqueray Malacca in 2013, Diageo said.
To read an exclusive just-drinks comment piece on the global revival of gin, click here
MASTER DISTILLER TOM NICHOL DRAWS ON CHARLES TANQUERAY’S 180-YEAR-OLD RECIPE BOOK
TO RECREATE NEW TANQUERAY® OLD TOM GIN
In 1835, Charles Tanqueray – distiller, entrepreneur, and innovator – made his first exploration into the Old Tom style of gin. Almost 180 years later, Tanqueray Master Distiller Tom Nichol has drawn inspiration from Charles’ closely guarded recipe in crafting this Old Tom Gin.
Developed with bartenders and cocktail connoisseurs in mind, the new Tanqueray Old Tom Gin is launching into the on-trade with limited availability at specialty retailers. Only 100,000 bottles will be available worldwide. The launch of Tanqueray Old Tom Gin follows the successful revival and release of Tanqueray Malacca in 2013.
In the history of gin, the Old Tom style bridges the flavor gap between the original, malty Dutch genevers and the more Tanqueray Old Tomjuniper-forward London Dry styles. Lighter than a genever but more full-bodied and sweeter than a London Dry, versatile Old Tom gins were also an essential spirit during the first Golden Age of the cocktail.
Tanqueray Old Tom Gin stays true to Charles Tanqueray’s original craftsmanship, eye for perfection and visionary spirit. In further keeping with tradition, the pack design is based on an original Tanqueray Old Tom label from the Diageo archives, dating back to 1921. Each bottle will be individually numbered.
Master Distiller Tom Nichol says, “It’s an honour to be privy to Charles Tanqueray’s recipe book and to bring back a great gin which reflects the classic Old Tom style but is elevated further by new distilling techniques.”
“This exceptional liquid will allow bartenders to recreate authentic Old Tom cocktails with a true sense of how they would have tasted historically. As part of this launch, we’ve identified ten historical Tanqueray Old Tom cocktails and included their initials along with the bottle number on the front label. Our hope is to inspire bartenders to bring these definitive cocktails back for a new generation. I am excited to taste what bartenders create,” said Tanqueray Global Brand Ambassador Barrie Wilson.
Tanqueray Old Tom will be available for purchase primarily in top bars globally beginning June 23, 2014. Each of the 100,000 bottles will be individually numbered.
Original source: Company Release
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The wine category in 2016 - Review of the Year IV
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Diageo lines up 2017 Johnnie Walker expressions
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- Drinks industry counters calls to ban alcohol ads
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends