UK: Diageo's spirits lifted by drink focus
Diageo, the UK food and beverage company, reported profits up 2.8% for the fiscal year today, falling just below industry estimations. Pre-tax profits came to £1.82 billion before goodwill, amortization and exceptional items, up from £1.77 billion from last year.The company said that sales for the year, which ended 30 June 2000, rose 0.9% to £11.9 billion from £11.8 billion. Meanwhile, earnings per share before items were up 9% to 37.3 pence.The results seem to vindicate the company's decision to leave the food business and focus on its drinks interests. While the company's drinks business recorded a 6% sales growth and a 15% operating profit growth, the food divisions Pillsbury and Burger King suffered from stifling competition and falling franchise sales, respectively.Diageo has agreed to sell its Pillsbury division to US food concern General Mills for around $10.5 billion. Burger King, on the other hand, is to be offloaded via a partial float to avoid the $1.5 billion capital gains tax it would have faced had it sold the business off directly.Drinks, meanwhile, continued to see the lion's share of the marketing budget, most of which was focused on the company's core spirits brands. Investment in marketing increased 7% to £679 million.Paul Walsh, the company's new CEO, said in an interview this morning: "The performance of UDV and Guinness gives us a strong platform for growth for the future, while across the whole group the new year has started well."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research