EUROPE: Diageo's M&A plans put Pernod Ricard in shade - analyst
Diageo's smaller footprint in China is a plus for investors
The Johnnie Walker and Smirnoff owner also has a smaller footprint in China, which gives it more stability, analyst Nomura said in a note today (31 August). Pernod released its full-year results yesterday, with strong growth driven by sales increases in all regions except France.
But despite Pernod's healthy outlook for mid-term profits, Nomura said the possibility of M&A activity for Diageo puts the UK-headquartered firm in a better position.
“Pernod has been the preferred European spirits investment for long periods of time in the last ten years,” Nomura said.
“However, it is clear to us that Diageo now is seen by many investors as the preferred investment, and we believe this is not likely to change in the short term.”
Diageo “has the M&A story in spirits,” the analyst said, and it is “smaller in China where investors remain nervous”.
Pernod's much-vaunted whisky portfolio in China was one of its main drivers of full-year growth, with double-digit increases for brands including Chivas, Jameson and Royal Salute. However, the market remains difficult and international labels jostle for space in the 1% of the market not swallowed up by domestic white spirits.
Pernod CEO Pierre Pringuet said during a press conference yesterday the group was always on the lookout for new acquisitions, but had no immediate targets. He later told Reuters the group would prioritise bolt-on acquisitions in the US and emerging markets, but gave no details.
Meanwhile, long-running rumours that Diageo is aiming for a buyout of the Jose Cuervo brand persist.
Here's the third part of this month's management briefing, which looks at three of the world's largest brewers and their efforts in the environmental sustainability arena....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018