Diageo's Johnnie Walker prepares gifting push in face of gloomy Travel Retail outlook
Diageo launched Johnnie Walker Island Green into Travel Retail this year
Speaking to just-drinks this week, Johnnie Walker global brand director Guy Escolme said the blended Scotch's share performance remains "very strong" in Travel Retail, and promised new consumer activations ahead.
The brand will be looking to build on its 2015 performance. IWSR figures released today reveal that Johnnie Walker posted a 13% lift in year-on-year sales in 2015, to 2.6m nine-litre cases.
"It's a very exciting space," Escolme said. "Quite the reverse of this bleak picture, we see it as a significant opportunity, especially for a brand like Johnnie Walker."
Global Travel Retail sales are under pressure from a fall in demand from Russian and Chinese passengers as well as fluctuating currency exchange rates. Pernod Ricard CEO Gilles Bogaert warned this month that 2017 will be another tough year.
Escolme added that Diageo is "enormously committed to the Travel Retail channel" and will be activating heavily around festive gifting.
"Whether it's Divali, Christmas, Thanksgiving or Chinese New Year, gifting in our category is significant and if you look at Travel Retail specifically it is a very important gifting channel. We also believe that we need to build and enhance the experience of the channel."
Some the activations will be around Johnnie Walker's Island Green expression, launched exclusively into Travel Retail in July.
Escolme was speaking after the first screening of Johnnie Walker's latest short film in its Storylines marketing campaign. The film, directed by Sundance Film Festival-winning director Talal Derki, highlights the villagers on the Greek island of Lesbos who last year were on the front line of rescue efforts for refugees fleeing Syria and other global flashpoints.
'Ode to Lesvos' is the third in the Storyline campaign, which has also featured short films from Colombia and New York.
Diageo plc – Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
Marketline's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...read more
Canadean's "Diageo plc : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations....
Marketline's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Late last week, Diageo's North America president, Deirdre Mahlan, hosted a conference call with analysts. Having spent just over a year in the role, Mahlan offered some insight into the company's larg...
Diageo Great Britain Ltd is part of Diageo Plc, which is the largest manufacturer and distributor of spirits and a major producer of beer and RTDs, operating in more than 20 markets across the Globe....
Diageo want to introduce durable cocktails into Belgium....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends