Product Launch - SPAIN: Diageo's J&B Urban Honey
Click through to view Diageo's new "spirit drink"
Diageo's J&B Urban Honey
Category - “Spirit drink”, Scotch, 35% abv
Available - From next month
Location - Spain, on- and off-trade
Price - In line with J&B Rare, which costs about GBP20 (US$33) in the UK
Distribution - Diageo
Diageo has entered the Scotch-based “spirit drink” category with the launch of a honey-flavoured whisky under its J&B brand.
J&B Urban Honey, which will only be available in Spain, follows last month's launch from Pernod Ricard of Ballantine's Brasil, a “lime-inflused” Scotch-based spirit drink. Announcing Urban Honey today (27 March), Diageo described it as “J&B Scotch whisky infused with honey” that will "open up the category to a new generation of men and women".
Under rules from the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA), flavoured Scotch cannot be categorised as Scotch whisky because the SWA claims it may “confuse” consumers. Diageo said it has clearly labelled Urban Honey as a spirit drink and used a different label from its parent J&B brand “ensuring compliance with SWA guidelines”.
J&B global brand director Dougal McGeorge said: "The rapid growth of flavoured spirit drinks made J&B a natural choice for us as we looked to drive innovation."
Diageo launches a new Spirit Drink based on J&B Scotch Whisky
Diageo announced today that it is to launch J&B URBAN HONEY, a new Spirit Drink based on J&B Scotch Whisky, which has been designed to open up the category to a new generation of men and women.
J&B URBAN HONEY is a 35% ABV Spirit Drink made from J&B Scotch Whisky infused with honey and is a characterful drink that creates a balanced and smooth liquid. The taste has been created to be distinctively fresh when consumed neat, on the rocks or mixed in a cocktail.
J&B URBAN HONEY is clearly labelled as a Spirit Drink on its front label, while also differentiated from the parent brand with the use of a honeycomb pattern, a city skyline illustration and a prominent ‘bee’ illustration, ensuring compliance with Scotch Whisky Association guidelines.
Since its creation, J&B Scotch Whisky has been a bold and innovative brand with a witty, playful edge. As Dougal McGeorge - Global J&B Brand Director - explains this has been fundamental to the development of the new Spirit Drink: “Creation of J&B URBAN HONEY is true to the urban roots of the J&B brand and its reputation for re-invention in the whisky category. The rapid growth of flavoured Spirit Drinks made J&B a natural choice for us as we looked to drive innovation.”
Original source: Company Release
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends