Product Launch - UK: Diageo's Gordon's Crisp Cucumber gin
Click through to view Diageo's Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber and Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber
Diageo's Gordon's Crisp Cucumber
Category - Spirits, gin, flavoured, 37.5% abv
Available - From next month
Location - UK, in all channels
Price - RRP of GBP15.49 (US$24.50) per 70cl bottle
Distribution - Diageo
Diageo has lined up the UK launch of a flavoured brand extension to its Gordon's gin brand, and two premix RTD expressions.
Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber will be available in bottles, while Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber and Gordon’s & Tonic with a dash of elderflower will be released in cans. The latter, which has an abv of 6.4%, will retail at around GBP1.85 per 25cl can.
The launch will be backed by a GBP1m marketing campaign in the country.
In Diageo's half-year results, released at the end of last month, the company's gin stable, which also includes Tanqueray, delivered a 5% lift in year-on-year sales. Half of group gin sales came from Gordon's, which grew 4% globally helped by double digit growth in South East Asia, Russia Eastern Europe, Turkey, Andean and Africa. This offset a decline in Western Europe.
Gin accounts for 3% of group sales.
Gordon’s, the UK’s no.1 gin from Diageo, is launching its biggest ever innovation with the introduction of a new collection of flavoured gins - available nationwide in all channels from March 2013.
As part of the wider platform around flavours, the new range comprises three modern SKUs; Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber - Original Gordon’s London Dry Gin blended with natural cucumber flavouring and designed to be mixed with tonic, Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber and Gordon’s & Tonic with a dash of elderflower - premix cans offering a contemporary twist on the classic G&T in a ready-to-drink format.
Supported by a £1million through-the-line marketing campaign, the range offers outlets the opportunity to capitalise on the growing consumer trends towards both gin and flavoured spirits. The fresh and simple packaging brings to life the Great British flavours found in each variant and has a strong stand out on shelf.
Nin Taank, Gordon’s Brand Manager, Diageo GB, says: “Gin is the third largest spirit in the spirits category and is experiencing strong growth +12% in the on-trade and +5% in the off-trade. The premix cans segment is also growing rapidly at +23%, bringing in new consumers to spirits and appealing to those looking for convenient alternative formats to consume spirits on different occasions.
“As the UK’s no.1 gin brand we are looking to invite consumers to enjoy gin in a new and exciting way which will drive frequency of purchase amongst existing gin consumers whilst attracting new younger gin consumers. The new Great British variants celebrate the true versatility of gin, and are set to inject freshness and vibrancy into the category in advance of the key spring/summer season.”
The new range comprises:
- Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber: 6 bottles per case, RRP £15.49
- Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber, 12 cans per case, RRP £1.85
- Gordon’s & Tonic with a dash of elderflower, 12 cans per case, RRP £1.85
Original source: Company Release
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future