Product Launch - UK: Diageo's Gordon's Crisp Cucumber gin
Click through to view Diageo's Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber and Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber
Diageo's Gordon's Crisp Cucumber
Category - Spirits, gin, flavoured, 37.5% abv
Available - From next month
Location - UK, in all channels
Price - RRP of GBP15.49 (US$24.50) per 70cl bottle
Distribution - Diageo
Diageo has lined up the UK launch of a flavoured brand extension to its Gordon's gin brand, and two premix RTD expressions.
Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber will be available in bottles, while Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber and Gordon’s & Tonic with a dash of elderflower will be released in cans. The latter, which has an abv of 6.4%, will retail at around GBP1.85 per 25cl can.
The launch will be backed by a GBP1m marketing campaign in the country.
In Diageo's half-year results, released at the end of last month, the company's gin stable, which also includes Tanqueray, delivered a 5% lift in year-on-year sales. Half of group gin sales came from Gordon's, which grew 4% globally helped by double digit growth in South East Asia, Russia Eastern Europe, Turkey, Andean and Africa. This offset a decline in Western Europe.
Gin accounts for 3% of group sales.
Gordon’s, the UK’s no.1 gin from Diageo, is launching its biggest ever innovation with the introduction of a new collection of flavoured gins - available nationwide in all channels from March 2013.
As part of the wider platform around flavours, the new range comprises three modern SKUs; Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber - Original Gordon’s London Dry Gin blended with natural cucumber flavouring and designed to be mixed with tonic, Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber and Gordon’s & Tonic with a dash of elderflower - premix cans offering a contemporary twist on the classic G&T in a ready-to-drink format.
Supported by a £1million through-the-line marketing campaign, the range offers outlets the opportunity to capitalise on the growing consumer trends towards both gin and flavoured spirits. The fresh and simple packaging brings to life the Great British flavours found in each variant and has a strong stand out on shelf.
Nin Taank, Gordon’s Brand Manager, Diageo GB, says: “Gin is the third largest spirit in the spirits category and is experiencing strong growth +12% in the on-trade and +5% in the off-trade. The premix cans segment is also growing rapidly at +23%, bringing in new consumers to spirits and appealing to those looking for convenient alternative formats to consume spirits on different occasions.
“As the UK’s no.1 gin brand we are looking to invite consumers to enjoy gin in a new and exciting way which will drive frequency of purchase amongst existing gin consumers whilst attracting new younger gin consumers. The new Great British variants celebrate the true versatility of gin, and are set to inject freshness and vibrancy into the category in advance of the key spring/summer season.”
The new range comprises:
- Gordon’s Crisp Cucumber: 6 bottles per case, RRP £15.49
- Gordon’s & Tonic with a hint of cucumber, 12 cans per case, RRP £1.85
- Gordon’s & Tonic with a dash of elderflower, 12 cans per case, RRP £1.85
Original source: Company Release
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report