UK: Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
The company has been reprimanded by the ASA for advertising around its Captain Morgan rum brand
The ad featured the Captain Morgan pirate character raising a glass, surrounded by his crew, with the text: “Wednesday: I'm declaring war on mid-week boredom”. A single complainant, The Youth Alcohol Advertising Council, argued the image was irresponsible, because it implied that alcohol could “overcome boredom and was capable of changing mood”.
However, Diageo claimed the ad was “to call consumers to take a break from their normal weekday routine and spend time with friends”. The firm also denied the image was encouraging people to drink as there was no mention of alcohol consumption.
But, in a ruling today (23 July), the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said: “We considered that most consumers, viewing the image and text together ... would interpret the ad to mean that the Captain was alleviating his boredom by drinking Captain Morgan with friends.”
The ASA said the ad must not appear again in its “current form”. The body added: "We told Diageo ... to ensure they did not state or imply that alcohol could overcome boredom or was capable of changing mood in future.”
It is the second time in the space of five months that an ad for Captain Morgan has fallen foul of the ASA. In February, the body banned a TV ad for the rum brand on the basis it linked alcohol consumption with "daringness or toughness".
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the challenges faced by Diageo’s wine operations, which sit uncomfortably with the company...
Yesterday's appointment news from Diageo has echoes of a similar HR switch at SABMiller two years ago - a question of perceived suitability....
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
Spirits in Ireland industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
Spirits in Italy industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains ...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends