GUATEMALA/UK: Diageo Zacapa talks continue as deadline looms
The terms of Diageo's three-year deal with Zacapa's owners will continue after today's deadline
Diageo's talks with the owner of the Zacapa rum brand are ongoing, just-drinks has learnt, despite the current partnership scheduled to end today (31 March).
Back in 2008, Diageo agreed a three-year global distribution and joint marketing deal with the Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala group for Zacapa. The agreement, which started on 1 April 2008, gave Diageo the option to buy a 50% equity stake in the brand, subject to performance criterion, at the end of the three years.
While Diageo confirmed to just-drinks at the end of last year that it had started discussions with Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala, just-drinks has learnt that the terms of the three-year agreement will remain in place after today's expiry, while the two sides continue their discussions on whether the option to purchase an equity stake is taken up.
A source close to the matter has told just-drinks this week that the talks are “proceeding positively”, with a resolution expected at some point before the end of June.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Diageo said that the company is “talking about the future relationship” with Industrias Licoreras de Guatemala, but declined to give further details about what changes - if any - the talks cover.
Diageo's multi-million dollar partnership with Facebook is a sign of things to come and makes sense for all parties....
New guidelines for social media launched yesterday by the European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) and the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS) set new standards of self-regul...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China