UK: Diageo workers to vote on strike
Diageo workers in Scotland are to vote on strike action in protest at the company's plan to cut around 10% of its Scotch whisky workforce in the country.
A preliminary ballot by the Unite trade union found overwhelming support for a vote on strike action among its members, the union said today (30 October).
Around nine in every ten workers at Diageo's Johnnie Walker packaging plant at Kilmarnock and the Port Dundas distillery in Glasgow said they favoured a strike ballot. Both plants are to be closed as part of the company's restructuring plan.
Strikes at the plants could seriously hamper Diageo operations.
If strikes go ahead, they will affect will also affect Diageo's Shieldhall plant, as well as Port Dundas and Kilmarnock.
A spokesperson for diageo told just-drinks today: "Whilst we remain open to dialogue with the trades unions, their actions in this escalation are both unnecessary and unhelpful."
"We fully understand the emotions which surround the restructuring decision and that this is a difficult time for everyone involved at Kilmarnock and Port Dundas.
"The package of measures that have been proposed by the company include both very generous redundancy terms and a highly supportive relocation package for employees wishing to stay with the company by moving to our site in Leven - where we're creating 400 new jobs."
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets