UK: Diageo workers to vote on strike
Diageo workers in Scotland are to vote on strike action in protest at the company's plan to cut around 10% of its Scotch whisky workforce in the country.
A preliminary ballot by the Unite trade union found overwhelming support for a vote on strike action among its members, the union said today (30 October).
Around nine in every ten workers at Diageo's Johnnie Walker packaging plant at Kilmarnock and the Port Dundas distillery in Glasgow said they favoured a strike ballot. Both plants are to be closed as part of the company's restructuring plan.
Strikes at the plants could seriously hamper Diageo operations.
If strikes go ahead, they will affect will also affect Diageo's Shieldhall plant, as well as Port Dundas and Kilmarnock.
A spokesperson for diageo told just-drinks today: "Whilst we remain open to dialogue with the trades unions, their actions in this escalation are both unnecessary and unhelpful."
"We fully understand the emotions which surround the restructuring decision and that this is a difficult time for everyone involved at Kilmarnock and Port Dundas.
"The package of measures that have been proposed by the company include both very generous redundancy terms and a highly supportive relocation package for employees wishing to stay with the company by moving to our site in Leven - where we're creating 400 new jobs."
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report