UK: Diageo wins imperial v metric battle
Diageo has been granted approval by Europe's highest court to continue selling its spirits in bottles using UK measurements.
The conflict began after Schutzverband der Spirituosen-Industrie, a German association that monitors spirits industry legal compliance, took issue with the sale of Diageo's Bailey's Minis brand, available in what it considered to be an illegal bottle size.
Diageo argued that preventing the sale of these bottles would be against the principle of the free movement of goods within the EU and has been supported by the Greek government and the Council of the EU.
"We are pleased about the outcome of the European Court's decision, this proves that our arguments around the principle of free movement of goods within the European Union was correct. This decision has no major impact on our business in Germany nor in other markets," a spokesperson from Diageo told just-drinks today (4 October).
The news follows last month's announcement from the European Commission confirming that it would no longer make the UK and Ireland to go fully metric by 2009.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Heineken and Diageo have confirmed the location for their new brewery in South Africa....
The US authorities have asked Diageo for additional information before approving the drinks company's partnership with the Nolet family....
Guidance labelling for pregnant women should be mandatory on all alcoholic drinks in the UK, Diageo has said....
Marnier-Lapostolle Group has granted Diageo Canada sole agency rights for the distribution of Grand Marnier in Canada, the liqueur brand's second largest market....
Diageo is lining up a packaging revamp of its Tanqueray gin brand, just-drinks understands....
Diageo Australia has applauded other producers of RTDs in their decision to introduce the two standard drink, a plan the company introduced in the country last year....
Diageo has hailed the repositioning of J&B for improving the Scotch whisky brand's performance....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China