US: Diageo widens Brazilian white rum launch
Diageo is set to further roll out its super-premium white rum brand across the US.
The drinks giant said today (24 August) that its Brazilian rum brand Oronoco would be unveiled in Miami and Las Vegas next month. The launch follows the brand's debut in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco last autumn.
Greg Leonard, Diageo's director of public relations for global rums, told just-drinks that Oronoco was aimed at "well-travelled consumers with a breadth and scope of spirits knowledge".
He said: "The super-premium rum space is unique and it extends the drinking experience beyond vodka. People are looking for this, that's why high-end Tequilas and some high-end gins are doing well. People want to purchase quality but we believe people are looking for a taste profile as well. This is where Oronoco can compete."
Oronoco would compete with super-premium white rums including 10 Cane, produced by Moet Hennessy USA.
Leonard added: "Super-premium rum is a relatively new category but it's a viable one and one in which I can see us taking a tremendous leadership position."
Diageo said that Oronoco is triple-distilled and blended with aged South American rums and natural spring water before being aged in Brazilian amendoim wood casks.
The brand retails for around US$34.99 for a 750ml bottle.
Coinciding with the publication of Diageo's first-half results, this month's just-drinks interview is with Andrew Morgan, president of Diageo's European operations. Morgan took the opportunity to expl...
The vodka sector's capacity for growth, particularly in the US, appears unbounded, and the big spirits players are all keen to gain full advantage. Major companies have recently swooped for the Svedka...
Cognac producer Camus has struck a distribution deal in India with local spirits group Radico Khaitan....
V&S Group has decided to close its production site in the Swedish town of Sundsvall with the loss of some 80 jobs....
India's UB Group has embarked on the due diligence of long-time quarry Whyte & Mackay, just-drinks understands....
US spirits group Heaven Hill Distilleries has launched yet another addition to its stable of flavoured vodkas....
Drinks Americas Holdings is set to unveil a deluxe version of its Trump vodka in the US....
Diageo is rolling out Hungarian liqueur Zwack to a second US state after a successful test launch....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends