TRAVEL RETAIL: Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Travel Retail volumes - Research
The blended Scotch whisky brand now accounts for 11% of all spirits volumes in travel retail, according to IWSR numbers released late last week. Johnnie Walker sold 2.33bn nine-litre cases in the channel in 2012, twice as many as Pernod Ricard's Absolut, which took a 5% share of the market.
Jack Daniel's saw its travel retail volumes increase by 11% last year, making it the fourth-biggest travel retail spirits seller last year. IWSR said the increase was helped by the success of Brown-Forman's Jack Daniel's extension, Tennessee Honey, and new Jack Daniel’s concept outlets in international airports.
Overall, the top ten travel retail brands by volume accounted for 40% of the market last year. Among them, they increased volumes year-on-year by 7% to 8.55bn cases.
Diageo had the largest brand representation on the Top 100 with 18 brands, followed by Pernod Ricard (17), Beam Inc (10), Bacardi (six), William Grant & Sons (five), Campari (five) and Brown-Forman (three). Scotch was the largest category, accounting for 26 brands. Liqueurs followed with 13 brands, and vodka with 12.
The figures came from a new IWSR report “IWSR’s Top 100 Spirits Brands in travel retail”.
The 2013 Tax Free World Association World Exhibition runs in Cannes this week. just-drinks will be there to cover all the latest news in the Travel Retail category. For a preview of the event, click here.
Below is the Top 10 of the IWSR's Top 100 Travel Retail Brands list
|Rank/Brand||Owner||Volume 2010||Volume 2011||Volume 2012||% change 2012 on '11||Volume change 2012 on '11||% share of volume 2012|
|1. Johnnie Walker||Diageo||1780.9||2026.3||2336.4||15.3||310.1||10.9|
|2. Absolut||Pernod Ricard||999.1||1110.9||1066.5||-4||-44.4||5|
|3. Chivas Regal||Pernod Ricard||792.4||890.5||931.2||4.6||40.7||4.4|
|4. Jack Daniel's||Brown-Forman||525.2||658.8||733.3||11.3||74.5||3.4|
|8. Ballantine's||Pernod Ricard||517.6||579.5||596||2.8||16.5||2.8|
Companies: Diageo, Brown-Forman, Pernod Ricard, LVMH Group, Absolut, Ballantine’s, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey, Campari, Bacardi Ltd, Smirnoff, Johnnie Walker, Chivas Regal, William Grant & Sons, Beam Global Spirits & Wine
How long is a satisfactory term for a CEO? Of course, there's two answers to this question: One if the company is publicly-listed, the other if it's a privately-held firm. Then, of course, there is th...
Avalon Group, the makers of Wild Geese Irish whiskey, has launched an online campaign over claims that Bacardi's latest global advertising campaign is too similar to the marketing for its own brands....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Suntory, Asahi settle court fight - report
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends