UK: Diageo unveils Guinness aftershave
Monye is said to be a keen amateur chemist
Diageo has teamed up with England rugby international Ugo Monye to launch a fragrance that combines Guinness with the 'essence' of the game.
Fans will be able to douse themselves with free samples of the aftershave when they buy pints of Guinness at the Guinness Premiership final at Twickenham on 29 May, Diageo said today (1 April).
The fragrance, which comes in a bottle moulded on Monye's honed body, defines the essence of rugby by mixing scents such as sweat, deep heat and mud, together with Guinness.
"I wanted to create an aftershave that truly captures the unique smells of rugby," Monye said today (1 April).
"Not only will wearing the fragrance remind you of playing rugby it will also give you that rough and ready odour for a manly edge," said Monye, who also plays for Harlequins.
Lee Bailey, Diageo's sponsorship manager, enthused: "Fans who watch the Guinness Premiership Final will be able to watch top class rugby while feeling like they are in the thick of the action with Ugo's unique fragrance."
However, sources close to the firm expressed concern today (1 April) that the aftershave's French working title, Eau D'Rugby, may not wash with English fans at Twickenham.
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014