Diageo turns to W Ice in South Korea as Scotch sales slide
Diageo is expanding the launch of W Ice by Windsor
Diageo's South Korea unit is pinning its hopes on a new spirits innovation as consumers move away from the blended Scotch whisky category.
The company said it will expand the launch of W Ice by Windsor, a 35% abv spirits drink that uses blended Scotch mixed with with dates and dried fig essence, to Jeju island. W Ice was first rolled out in March to Busan and Yeongnam, where Diageo claims consumer reaction was positive.
"We are optimistic that the Jeju launch will be a great opportunity to expand the consumer base for W Ice by Windsor," said Cho Kil-soo, head of Diageo Korea.
W Ice is available in 45cl bottles for KRW24,530 (US$21.60).
South Korea's alcohol market has seen a move away from Scotch in recent years as younger consumers switch from brown to white spirits and choose cheaper beer and soju options. Last month, Diageo Korea announced a price jump for three of its Scotch brands as it was forced to respond to falling demand.
Meanwhile, Kil-soo told the Korea Times that the unit will launch more aggressive marketing for Guinness after sales jumped by 50% this year.
Canadean's "Diageo plc : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations....
Diageo plc (Diageo) is an alcoholic beverages company that produces, distributes, and sells spirits, beer, and wine products....
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo, also ranks 13th globally in beer....
Pernod Ricard is aiming to revitalise its struggling South Korean unit with fresh blood as part of an employee shake-up....
Despite seeing its global volumes as well as share stagnate in 2015, Diageo comfortably remained the world’s leading spirits player....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends