UK: Diageo to unveil red-coloured Guinness
The UK drinks giant said today (26 October) that it would begin the trials of Guinness Red in a "limited number" of UK pubs in the "coming months". The test, just-drinks understands, is set to start early next year.
"We are expecting to trial Guinness Red in a limited number of pubs within Great Britain in the coming months, however no decision has yet been made with regards to the details of this test," the company said.
The red colour comes from the brewing process with this version being lightly roasted for "a rich red colour and a well-balanced bitter sweet character".
Diageo has faced criticism over the performance of Guinness in the UK and Ireland in recent years, despite growing sales in Africa and the US. Volumes in the UK were down 1% in the year to 30 June, while in Ireland they slumped 8%.
Diageo has pointed to the growing trend for home consumption for the lacklustre performance of Guinness on both sides of the Irish Sea.
To counter that trend, Diageo has launched a series of innovations to boost sales. This year, the company launched Guinness Surger, a device that gives a sonic blast to a pint of the black stuff in an attempt to recreate the creamy head of a pint of Guinness at home.
In Ireland, Diageo has tested a mid-strength Guinness and launched two limited editions versions of the brand under the Guinness Brewhouse Series.
Bringing together the great and the good of the world's whisky distillers, The World Whisky Conference - which ran this week in Glasgow - saw just-drinks out in force. Chris Brook-Carter looks back at...
Diageo North America has launched a range of flavoured malt beverages in the region...
Diageo is looking to up the presence of its Guinness stout beer in India....
Diageo has secured an "arms-length investment partnership" with a cocktail mixer company in the US....
Diageo is extending its Johnnie Walker whisky portfolio, with a launch into the ultra deluxe segment in Europe and the Americas....
Diageo is hoping to draw a better consumer understanding of where its Smirnoff vodka brand comes from. The company, which unveiled a multi-platform global campaign for the vodka yesterday (9 April), i...
Diageo is preparing a multi-platform global campaign for its Smirnoff vodka brand....
Diageo plans to extend the coverage of one of its Singleton Scotch whiskies into Europe....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review