UK/SA: Diageo to take half of UB Group SA sorghum unit
The two groups also announced a new JV in South Africa
The two sides, which secured a long-awaited deal earlier today (9 November), will take joint control of the South Africa unit, with Diageo spending US$36m on 50% of the division. The other half would be held by a company affiliated to UB Group's chief, Vijay Mallya.
Both sides will have equal shareholder votes, with Mallya taking the chairmanship on a 'no casting vote' basis.
“Diageo and Dr Mallya are also considering the possibility of extending their joint venture relationship by establishing a joint venture in respect of certain emerging markets in Africa and Asia (excluding India),” the two firms said.
Whilst emphasising that terms have not been determined, the South African JV “would be contributed to it”.
Diageo already operates a cost-sharing JV in South Africa, Brandhouse Beverages, with Heineken and Namibia Breweries. Brandhouse is a marketing, sales and distribution company for premium alcohol beverages in the country. At the same time, Diageo and Heineken jointly own a brewery in Sedibeng near Johannesburg, which was opened two years ago.
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015