Diageo to take control of Mallya's United National Breweries
Diageo is moving to take full control of the JV
The London-headquartered firm acquired an initial 50% stake in UNB in early 2013 off the back its move for Vijay Mallya's UB Group-owned United Spirits. Diageo said today it has reached an agreement to buy the remaining 50% of the brewer from Pestello Investments, a company affiliated to Mallya.
The Guinness producer will pay an initial US$22m, plus a potential "earn-out" payment of up to $14m, dependent on UNB's performance. UNB, whose brands include Chibuku and Leopard Special, operates four breweries across South Africa.
The deal remains subject to regulatory approval, including scrutiny from South Africa's competition authority. However, Diageo said it expects the transaction to complete by the end of June.
Diageo already operates a cost-sharing JV in South Africa, Brandhouse Beverages, with Heineken and Namibia Breweries. Brandhouse is a marketing, sales and distribution company for premium alcohol beverages in the country. Heineken and Diageo also jointly own a brewery in Sedibeng, near Johannesburg.
Research published last month predicted that the continent of Africa is poised to become the world's fastest-growing global beer market.
Earlier this month, at the annual CAGE conference in London, LVMH CFO Jean-Jacques Guiony presented an eye-opening look at how the luxury goods category operates. What can the spirits category learn f...
Canadean's "Diageo plc : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations....
When drinks executives see references to 'disruptive influences' in retailing, they may well brace themselves for an uncomfortable haranguing about binge-drinking in pubs or town centres. It might com...
Canadean's "Heineken UK Limited: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
Diageo plc (Diageo) is an alcoholic beverages company that produces, distributes, and sells spirits, beer, and wine products....
Diageo is to rename Indian whiskey McDowell's in export markets after pressure from the Scotch Whisky Association. ...
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo, also ranks 13th globally in beer....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends