UPDATE: UK: Diageo to spread Singleton wings in Europe
Diageo plans to extend the coverage of one of its Singleton Scotch whiskies into Europe.
The UK drinks giant said today (3 April) that it will roll out The Singleton of Dufftown, which is currently available only in UK travel retail, to European travel retail within three months.
Nicholas Morgan, marketing director of Diageo's classic malts selection unit, confirmed the move to just-drinks, adding the single malt would also go on sale in two domestic European markets later this year. He would not confirm, however, which markets the Dufftown whisky would be available in.
Morgan's comments coincide with the test launch of The Singleton of Glendullan in New Jersey and Illinois in the US, and in selected travel retail outlets across the country. The test, which will run for 12 months, will lead to a planned nationwide roll-out, Morgan said, but no date has yet been set for this move.
"We're focusing on drinkers who are interested in single malt, but who find the category confusing," Morgan said. When asked why Diageo didn't choose just the one type of Singleton for the global market, Morgan pointed to the "slightly varied taste preferences in different markets".
The third and final Singleton Scotch, Glen Ord, was released in Taiwan and Korea in June last year. The brand was subsequently unveiled in Japan last month, Morgan said, with the whisky performing "very well" in the Asian markets.
The Scotch whisky category is booming globally thanks to demand in Asia and the BRIC countries, particularly for blends, but mature markets in Europe are proving more sluggish. In this month's Just th...
Acquisitions have transformed CL Financial from the owner of one very famous but small-scale bitters brand into a player on the world spirits stage. Having recently shored up two contrasting acquisiti...
It takes a brave man to question the assumptions of a business that, to all intents and purposes, is riding the crest of a wave, but that is what happened in Scotland this month, Chris Brook-Carter re...
Davide Campari-Milano is hoping to feed off scraps from the potential sale of Vin & Sprit, according to a recent interview....
Diageo has completed the first stage in its Scotch whisky investment programme....
Diageo has announced changes to its board of directors....
Global drinks force Diageo is backing the "We Don't Serve Teens" campaign, aimed at reducing teen access to alcohol, as it rolls out in Arizona....
Diageo has declared that this week's US interest rate cut would give a boost to consumers, but there had been minimal impact from any slowdown on its drinks, according to reports....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report