UK: Diageo to sponsor Ryder Cup
Diageo's Johnnie Walker teams up with Ryder Cup 2014
Diageo has announced that it will be one of the official sponsors of the 2014 Ryder Cup, strengthening ties between its Scotch whisky brands and golf.
Diageo said today (29 November) that it will be an official partner of the 2014 tournament. It will be held at Scotland's Gleneagles resort, which the drinks company owns.
The deal strengthens the Johnnie Walker brand's ties to golf. Johnnie Walker will be "central" to the partnership, Diageo said, adding that the blended Scotch brand has sponsored the Ryder Cup before, in 1989, 1993 and 1997.
In 1921, Gleneagles was the venue for the first tournament that has since grown into the Ryder Cup. The tournament in 2014 is expected to have a global television audience of around 600m.
Earlier this year, just-drinks sat down with David Gates, the global category director of whisk(e)y at Diageo, to talk about Johnnie Walker, Formula One, Scotch and the other whisk(e)y sub-categories....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts