GLOBAL: Diageo to launch whisky with David Beckham, Simon Fuller
Click through to view an image of the product
Diageo plans to release a single grain Scotch whisky in partnership with David Beckham and British media mogul Simon Fuller.
The 40% abv brand, called Haig Club, is set to be launched globally later this year, the company said today (8 April). The spirit has been produced using grain whisky from three different types of cask.
Beckham and Fuller will play a “fundamental role in developing the brand, its strategy and positioning”, the company said. Meanwhile, Beckham will also head up a responsible drinking programme around the brand.
David Gates, Diageo’s global head of premium core spirits, said: “Whisky is experiencing a continued global renaissance and like many of the world’s most respected whisky experts, we believe this will be the year that grain whisky breaks into the mainstream and gains the recognition it deserves.”
The House of Haig is Scotland’s oldest grain whisky dynasty and makers of Haig blended Scotch and Dimple Scotch.
Beckham said: “I’m proud to be working at the heart of a home-grown brand which has built an incredible heritage over 400 years. Working closely with Diageo, we look forward to collaborating on Haig Club.”
The length and financial details of the deal were not disclosed, but Fuller, who is a business partner of Beckham, described the project as a "long-term commitment".
Details of where the brand will be sold and pricing will be released closer to the launch, Diageo said.
Late last year, William Grant & Sons launched The Girvan Patent Still Single Grain, marking the first major push into single grain Scotch whisky.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research