UK: Diageo to launch new Bell’s blend
Diageo is to launch an updated blend of its leading Scotch whisky, Bell's, to mark the brand's 30th year as the UK's number one blended Scotch whisky.
Bell's Original, which will replace the current 8-year-old blend, is to be introduced from September and will be backed with a GBP4m (US$7.78m) support package. It will have a recommended retail price of GBP13.84 for a 70cl bottle which Diageo said would keep it aligned with its principal competitors.
Diageo said it would be doubling the investment behind Bell's in 2008, not only to support the launch of Bell's Original, but also to "drive excitement and increase consumer awareness in Scotch whisky". The support package will include advertising, as well as a direct mail communication to 250,000 loyal Bell's consumers introducing the latest blend, the company added.
"Bell's has been around for over 100 years and during this time, in his strive for perfection, our Master Blender has periodically updated the blend," said James Pennefather, whisky brand director at Diageo GB. "The latest recipe echoes one of the original Bell's blends and will therefore be known as Bell's Original. We're delighted taste tests show that the latest blend performs very strongly with people who drink Bell's regularly so we're confident that it will be a smooth transition to Bell's Original for retailers and licensees."
Vijay Mallya's UB Group is becoming an increasingly important player in the international drinks business, and the airlines to whisky billionaire is no stranger to being a big player. In the first in...
United Spirits has confirmed that it is in talks with Diageo over a possible partnership in India....
The chief operating officer of Radico Khaitan has played down suggestions that the company's joint-venture with Diageo in India is under threat....
View 10 of the top stories published on just-drinks this week....
The Famous Grouse will make its traditional festive return to the small screen this December in a GBP1.5m (US$2.2m) UK advertising campaign....
Stolichnaya vodka's owner, SPI Group, has signed a distribution deal in the US with William Grant & Sons....
Diageo has declined to comment on a report that the drinks giant is closing in on a 15% stake in United Spirits, India's leading spirits company....
The Edrington Group has today (13 November) unveiled a GBP1.3m (US$1.93m) The Macallan single malt Scotch whisky limited edition bottling....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review