UK: Diageo to launch Captain Morgan RTD in May
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh announced today that the company would be launching a Captain Morgan ready-to-drink (RTD) in the US in May this year.
The brand will be called Captain Morgan Gold and Walsh told a sales team from Merrill Lynch, today that: "You'll have heard Bacardi have launched a product called Bacardi Silver, and guess what gold is better than silver."
He went on: "Equally, Captain Morgan has got a far better resonance with our target market which is basically 25- to 35-year-olds."
Walsh was upbeat that the RTD market would continue to grow in the US saying that the UK market was 10% of the beer market where the US still had only a 1% point.
He said that RTDs were what the consumer now wanted and believed that if the market did not offer the products the consumer "would just mix it themselves".
"They (consumers) are a little tired of the same tasting beer products," Walsh said, "they find them over carbonated, there is less carbonate in these and the formula seems to be working."
Asked about the future of the category Walsh went on: "I see no reason why every one of our global priority brands cannot have a ready-to-drink line extension." Diageo's global priority brands include, Tanqueray Gin, and Johnnie Walker Scotch.
Walsh said that Diageo had "a couple" of completely new products "on the drawing board". But he continued that there were better opportunities in line extensions, in particular to "go beyond Johnnie Walker Blue" as well as looking at the rum portfolio it has recently acquired off Seagram.
For the full interview with Paul Walsh go to www.diageo.com
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Demand and profit problems for Australian wine producers in both home and export markets are becoming more apparent....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Brown-Forman has restructured its distribution set up for Europe, entering into new agreements for its spirits brands in a number of countries, including Italy, Spain, and Germany....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets