US: Diageo to expand US cocktail bottling site
Diageo has lined up a further multi-million dollar investment in one of its bottling facilities in the US.
The drinks giant confirmed yesterday (22 April) that it will spend US$20.2m on expanding its bottling facility in Plainfield, Illinois. The announcement follows an $18m boost for the site, which handles the company's ready-to-serve cocktail products, last June.
The 44,000-square-foot addition will house a new bottling line for Diageo's line of cocktails including Smirnoff Pomegranate Martini, Smirnoff Mojito, Smirnoff Grand Cosmopolitan, and Smirnoff Tuscan Lemonade-
"This investment is significant, especially in these difficult economic times," said John Council, president of Diageo Americas Supply. "While our business is not recession-proof, we remain resilient. The Plainfield site remains a centre of excellence for liquid development and new innovations that drive our business like the Smirnoff line of ready-to-serve cocktails."
Established in 1965 as a distillery for United Distillers, the Plainfield site has grown to more than 450,000 square feet and is today one of the largest combined spirits and malt beverage plants in the world, according to Diageo. About 25m cases of spirits and malt beverages are produced in Plainfield every year.
As Pernod Ricard names a new brand director for its gin brands, a recently published report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests it will not be an easy category from which to extract growth. Ben Cooper repo...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The duty-free industry's most important annual trade show, the Tax Free World Association (TFWA) World Exhibition, celebrates its 25th anniversary in Cannes next week. This US$37bn global business has...
Diageo has confirmed a shake-up of its executive team in North America, and the appointment of a global chief for its Tequila portfolio....
Diageo has reported a 6% fall in sales for its first fiscal quarter, but the drinks giant maintained profits guidance for the year....
United Spirits intends to raise funds via a share placement, after a collapse of talks with private equity groups over a stake sale....
Diageo is set to release a trading statement on its first fiscal quarter at the group's Annual General Meeting on Wednesday (14 October)....
SABMiller, the global brewer, is to release an update on trading in its second fiscal quarter on Thursday (15 October)....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages